Friday, August 23, 2024

Visited a Junior-Colleague Today to Plan for the Semester Ahead. Scratching My Head. I'm Doing This Life Thing All Wrong. I Need to Invest in Joy

I love when individuals share visions with me and why they have such visions: a pool, a bar, a viewing area, and a resort spot right in their backyard. Well, dang. I could live with that and I told Abu all summer how much our lives would be better if we had a pool to jump into each afternoon. Maybe I should visit my colleague's home. Granted, she married a partner who is in finance and the pool matches the rest of the home, but still. 

Did I go in? No? Did I admire? Yes. Granted, they also live a block from the ocean; life is good and I'm never, ever jealous.

Not at all.

Syllabus one is complete and today I train the FYE crew of undergraduates who run a 1-credit undergraduate course. I love this training and I'm ready to get it rock and rolling. It's fun to have the opportunity to play (but I noticed they caught the number being trained by 1/2...I wonder if they too are being cut during a time with an excessive profit being made by the university. Wouldn't be surprised. Seems to be the way it is these days (and I read the case of several of the nation's most prestigious schools and how bloat in the administrative class is the new norm...at some schools, there are more administrators than faculty and students). As went the hospital industry, so goes higher education. It is what it is.

I also await the arrival of Kanyea, Courtney, and Malia-Celine who will be on Mt. Pleasant all weekend keeping me busy (chasing Karal who will be thrilled to have company again). They arrive around dinner time and I will be making....well, dinner). Can't wait to host them and have quality time together.

Here's to the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment