Thursday, August 22, 2024

The Serenity Begins with the Calm of the Canine Clan. They Center What Is Right and Just in the World (the Pains in the Ass They Are)

I'm a dog person. And if it wasn't for my dogs, I would lose myself completely in work and expectations of the job I have. I am thankful that Karal needs her walks, her food, and her play time and I'll always stop everything in my path so she can have what she wants.

Biscuits. Toys. Long treks. Belly Rubs.

Yesterday, I started to tackle the fill-in courses required of me this semester and I'm thankful to do so, even with the additional students accepted so they don't have to be wait-listed. I do it for them, and not the systems that limit the number of faculty they deserve to work with them. I will give my all, do my best, and teach to the billionth degree so they can represent the next generation of educators. 

I also prepped professional development for another round of student ambassadors selected to teach the first year courses. I will do so with humor, pizazz, spunk, and best practices.

Karal is sanity amidst the craziness that our the systems that we work for. She keeps me grounded, oriented, and focused on what is more important in the world...not the narratives of the story they wish others to believe, but the truth that faculty deserve support, investment, and trust for their expertise. It's sad when one needs to admit that there's a life outside of work that also deserves attention, and I have no issue admitting that. I no longer have to worry about the boys and their schooling, their adulthood, and their next phases (okay, I still worry), but there deserves to be a line between the work we do with passion, and the demands made as a result of too few faculty to carry out the work.

So, today. I'll take a walk with my dog and I'll focus on what is more important at home. Colleagues deserve such a stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment