Saturday, August 3, 2024

And With That It is a Wrap: 25 Teacher, 193 Youth, Five Weeks, Buses, Recording, All of Us Together Writing for Publication, with Only a Couple Minor Incidences.

Phew. I have a teacher conference to lead next week, but I can officially say the summer programs are ending (they ended). With the incredible crew I had with me to finish it out, we had the space cleaned out by 30 minutes and all the materials are in my dining room. Yes, the CWP office was taken from me. Granted, it was replaced, but because of mold, temperatures, smells, and no facility shelves or desks, those offices are abandoned. The spaces given to many of us are simply ignored. We work from hom. 

I am super proud of Max Limric, Jalen Johnson, Mateo Planas, and Abu Bility for being my right hand men these past few weeks. They stepped up physically, mentally, and academically. They helped to maintain the summer programs.

Always a pleasure to finish the year out with Jess and Will, also recognizing their bigger events for summer are in a couple of weeks. 

I came home from work, picked up Karal, ate leftovers, watched Olympic highlights, then went to bed. The heat is rough and it doesn't cease until next week, and then it simply turns to Fall, which is stupid. I want summer.

At least I have four days next week to catch up before the Friday conference. I remain without words, however, about the wonderful work I'm fortunate to do and the lack of support from the space where I do it.

As we departed in the parking lot today with hugs and handshakes, we all noted that the happiness of all the kids over the last few weeks, and the admiration of teachers who joined us to see what we were doing is a reason for why it's done. Still, we're also honest with one another and question how sustainable the dedication and devotion of a few can be when up against the systems and bureaucracies that can care less.

I suppose this is the teaching life and when put in systems of higher education and their privileges...there's just no winning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment