Tuesday, May 21, 2024

What's the First Thing One Does After Graduation Weekend? He Kicks Straight Into Summer Program Mode! "They Call Us Writers" (2024)

This Friday I host three authors, 8 teachers, over 100 kids, and 10 presentations for Writing Our Lives & Cultivating a Collective. I then begin the graduate Capstone for those who just completed student teaching, and then I move towards the teacher institute and the Young Adult Literacy Labs (this is the National Writing Project , 50th year). 

In the back of my mind I was going to slow down for the summer, but in the world of grants and funding, you need to play ball when they give you a reason to be on the field. It's been a fortunate year and I live to support teachers and youth...it's always for them, and the next generation of possibilities. 

I spent Monday picking up the 2024 stickers, editing an international handbook chapter, sending out final word to all participating parties for this Friday and, dare I say it, making arrangements to FINALLY visit my son in June. There is no good time, so I simply made the time. He's been in Iowa a year and I've yet to see his place (well, he's already on place #2). Alyssa has been there a 1/2 dozen times and I haven't found even a long weekend to go out west. The time is coming, especially as I prioritize what's important for my well-being and sanity. The last few years have been horrific and it's my nature to fix things and try to hold it all together. I can't any more. I'm only taking care of what I can, and that is CWP and my work. 

Today is gift day, as I have to find thank-you materials for presenters and special guests coming to campus on Friday. I also counted and this is the 27th Writing Our Lives conference in Connecticut since I arrived in 2011-2012. that's insane, especially since Dr. Marcelle Haddix and I hosted the first one in Syracuse in 2010. If you build it, youth will come. They want to write. They have things to say. They just wish schools appreciated their ideas more. That is the beauty of the 8 teachers dedicated to the youth coming this week. They get it: teaching, writing, story-telling, young people, and joy. They are the professionals beyond all professionals and there isn't a salary high enough for them. 

It's time to count down as the summer works takes off. Happy Tuesday, world. We're at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment