Wednesday, May 15, 2024

They'll Tell You Just About Anything These Days. I Miss Dr. Pozzi's Quarters and Sticker Bags.

A root canal is a long process, but it's really fascinating to think about. The worst part of the entire procedure was the ice test to locate the side of the tooth and area that needed work. When she hit the right spot, I jumped and said, 'Well that's it!!!!" My ear ached until she jabbed me with novocaine and numbed my entire face (and arm). There are so many phases to the procedure and I simply was fascinated by it, especially what is used to chisel into the canal. I could detect the sanding instruments, but couldn't feel them.  I couldn't imagine what they looked like (I got a tour afterwards).

I was also fascinated by the giant microscope she used above my head as she did the procedure looking into two lens. "You were inflamed," she reported. "You caught this at a very good time." I simply laughed because I can't imagine all the torture that had to occur in the past for them to get this good with technology. I mean, how did they get to the point that they knew to put an ice-chip on a tooth to find the right location. Who discovered novocaine? How is digital technology advancing the way they can provide care? I had so many questions and wanted to learn it all. 

She just wanted to go home because her kid had soccer practice. I think she was annoyed by my questions.

Last night, had the first good sleep in a long time. Previously, when the Advil wore off in the middle of the night, I'd leap from my bed in pain. On nights when I overdosed on Advil, I simply worried it would wear off and cause pain so I couldn't fall asleep. 

As for the cost...this 80s/90s kid never knew life would be so expensive. Insurance covers squat, and I'm thinking of all the other things that could be done with that kind of cash rather than care for a single, tiny tooth. They're devils when they're troubled. I just wanted the agony gone.

I hope the tooth is now happy, and I know my eardrum and neck are. Phew. I shake my head simply thinking about those streaks of pain. It's been a rough few weeks.

But now, hopefully gone. 

And with that...another hump-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment