Sunday, May 5, 2024

Another Successful Pam-Derby, 60th Birthday & Horse Race by a Nose. Always a Wonderful Kentucky Tradition to Carry with Me Wherever I Go

Pam won the race with Mystik Dan, but of course this was the first year we didn't wage bets. We just grabbed horses and said, "no pot, bet for fun." And her horse won. We should have done cash bets.

It was a great celebration on Walnut Beach, although when the sun went under the clouds it was freezing. These old bones needed to sit in a running car to warm up. But it does kick off the good food season, wherever people have picnics and the summer comfort food comes in stereo. Hear! Hear! the fig jam and brie cheese on crackers. I'm in love.

I didn't get any grading done, because I needed to pick up gourmet cupcakes for Monday, run horse prints for the race, and get a good cream for the coleslaw. It was wonderful to see all the relatives, grandkids, friends, and laughter over pulled pork, hamburgers, hotdogs, and salads. Katelyn and Patrick did a great job pulling together a celebration.

Leo painted the sign. 

I returned home, too, to new releases by Penguin Random House which was an absolute joy. And everyone was out getting garden goods at Home Depot. I don't know why people do this on nice days. They should go when it is dreary and keep it at their home for when it is nice instead of facing the crowds on beautiful days. 

But today it rains, so I grade. It's a good thing. I need a slow day to catch up on a semester that has wiped me out. I ate enough yesterday for the week. 

Here's to slowing down a little for a while (he types, knowing it is rarely a style he knows). Day of rest. We'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment