Tuesday, May 14, 2024

The Gown Season Is Upon Us. Let the Graduation Season Commence and May a Fruitful Life of Integrity and Joy Meet Every Student Who Tosses a Tassel

I had the wrong date. I walked across campus yesterday for a celebration which wasn't scheduled until this Friday. Whoops, my bad. I am glad this happened because I saw Safa, far right, who was dressed with her friends in end-of-the-senior-year bliss posing in front of the Stag with her friends. Safa participated in Ubuntu Academy when she first arrived to the United States, and with the dedication of her teachers from Bridgeport Public Schools, she gained footing and readiness to tackle a collegiate life.

To be honest, I thought she was still a freshman, but that is what the Covid years do to us. It makes us wary of time lines and trajectories, but it all flies by extremely fast. 

I knew as a Director of a National Writing Project site that Safa was an exceptional mind and worker, so it doesn't surprise me that she tapped her inner magic and perseverance to attain her undergraduate degree. I only wish I had her secret to help so many like her in the future (hmmmm. Sounds like a research project). 

Yesterday, I learned of the late 19th/early 20th century orphan trains and I couldn't help but think of the number of young people who come to our country from refugee camps and journeys to find a footing in the United States. From the presentation, I learned the power of love, family, human togetherness, and the importance of good people looking out for fellow, young people, who simply need others to guide and assist their paths. 

Moving. Perhaps universal. Definitely a story for educators like me.

I'm entering the summer season once again to lay the groundwork that another generation of possibilities exists out there and that K-12 schools and Universities create sidewalks for them to thrive. 

Perhaps after 30+ years of teaching, the stories begin to blur, but the mission will always remain the same. Fighing for equity, justice, and opportunity for all kids is the best life to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment