Monday, June 17, 2024

Well, Monday, I Put Off This Prayer Since Saturday, But Wanted to Offer One Up to the Rainbow Bridge to Start this New Week

I was living in Kentucky, I believe, when I happened to be home as the Isgars got hooked on another puppy. This was, a totally black lab named Bella, who was instantly drawn to my sister, Cynde, and who quickly became an adorable, cuddly friend with whoever would have her. I had Baby at the time, then Glamis, and now Karal. They all loved Bella-bean because she was a dog's dog...and a human companion. I loved her, too. She's alway been one of my favorites.

I remember sitting in the back seat to pick her up because Mike was at work and he wanted me to assist Cynde. She was midnight black, small, and I held her in my arms and said, "I'm so in love." I was jealous he was going to stay with them and on com home with me to Kentucky. So beautiful. Always so regal.

Bella craved play time, especially with a hose. She was obsessed and loved her sprinklers. Watering the lawn was like Disney World to her, and any opportunity to be chased was a fantastic time. Glamis and her had a special bond, as they were close in age and had similar temperaments. She didn't mind chasing her cousin who loved picking up an item only to be chased. They would go round and round and round. Karal's arrival was a bit younger, spunkier, and probably a pain in the ass to Bella, but she tolerated it. She still played. She embraced Karal and let her know quickly she was all about the laps in the living room.

I always loved visiting Cynde and Mike because I could count on Bella coming up to my lap for hugs and kisses. She was a loving dog and she knew who her people were, especially Mike and Cynde. Dylan and Nikki. She was the family dog above all family dogs. I can't imagine getting one any better.

Sadly, at age 14 (98 in people years) Bella let them know it was her time. She played her role and she was loved for every second of it. She's one of those dogs that is almost irreplaceable...she was just precious...and so, so loving....so central to their lives...to the magic of their existence.

That was hard news to learn the day before Father's Day, and I'm especially feeling for Mike and Cynde's loss. The lack of noise following is always disturbing...the ending of rituals and patterns can be haunting. She crossed over the rainbow bridge on Saturday and is now running with Jake, Dusty, Tizzy, Baby, Glamis, Chipper, Smoker, Zoie, and Juliette Catherine Alanis Madonna Potatohead Scrappy Doo Houdini Olivia Dennis (my first dog). She is with numerous other dogs, too, as Mike comes from a long lineage of dog people.

It's always a lot. Always devastating. Always emotional. But Bella lived a tremendous life and was so much a part of the ritual that it's almost impossible to imagine a world without her. The backyard was all hers...and she loved when cousin dogs visited. Prayers up, beautiful creature ... we are all better human beings because of you. 

And much love to the Isgars for the time being --- it's a slow, painful crawl, but at one point the memory will be all you need to invest in another. I'm already looking for you. You'll know when you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment