Thursday, June 20, 2024

As I've Grown Up and Moved Around, I've Always Been Fascinated at the Types of Magazines that Lie Around on Tables in Lobbies

I did professional development in one of, if not the one, wealthiest school district in the nation. It's a fascinating demographic, however, as the wealthier homes rely on the workers of other homes, so there are the super wealthy, and then the struggling others....hence, it is very diverse, but in more complicated ways than we usually do. We had the program at a facility which had a lobby with CTC-G magazine - a showcase of gorgeous homes (and furniture) in the area. The lowest cost of a home advertised was $998,000 and they went up to 20-30 million. 

Anyway, I thumbed through the magazine and was brought directly to the Hamptons where similar magazines lie about. Gorgeous homes with minimal furniture. I think it'd be funny to do a similar magazine for everyday people and the crazy ways they make ends meet in their homes. They should see the supplies all around my house awaiting classrooms. It is far from minimalism. Then again, don't they have numerous home shows about flipping homes, etc....even a channel? 

There used to be magazines everywhere, but now you rarely see them. I'm wondering about the Uber-wealthy class, and they still rely on print or have gravitated to digital spaces for home-gazing.

The trip there was 23 miles away, but it can take hours! I am happy to report that I made it there in 1/2 hour. I made it back in an hour (which wasn't that bad)

And I taught my last Capstone class. Now to grade and grade and grade, while fantasizing that I have such a home and pool to jump in on these hotter than usual days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment