Saturday, June 29, 2024

I Believe the Top Is Starting to Turn Gray, Too - At Least in the CNY Sun (Yesterday was Simply a Stunning Day in Syracuse)

Walked the dog. She played with the neighbor's dog. I cooked dinner for Cynde, Mike, and my parents. I have next week's teacher leadership institute planned out (including several special guests) and I'm getting ready for all the kids to arrive the week after. I suppose Covid taught us how much work can get done online while working remotely. I needed a week in Syracuse and am looking forward to today's graduation party for my nephew (the trigger for this particular trip). He's heading to Clarkson University up north on a full tuition scholarship (Civil Engineering). Seems like yesterday I was heading to Binghamton. Hard to get head around time and the pace of it all. 

Sadly, after a beautiful day, today is looking to be a typical Syracuse day: gray, rainy, windy, and thunderstorms all...day...long. It's the risk one always has to take when throwing an event in these parts.

Dad and I watched gymnastic Olympic trials last night and my nerves can't handle that stress. I also feel all the pain in my joints and legs watching them do as they do. I remember the days when you didn't know things could pop out of your body when you push so hard. Boy, that changed in my 40s. 

Sat out front at night watching walkers, runners, skaters, and cyclists...same space I occupied so many nights of my youth. Ran into Ginette Piel at Walmart and she didn't recognize me because of all the white hairs. I took her by surprise. I suppose it's been a decade or so since I've seen her and, like I said, the 2nd half of my 40s aged me (in the same way they did my dad at the time...I remember people teasing him he would never age...but then did)

Ah, but here's to Sean's celebration. 32 years ago a colleague at Sibley's/Kaufman's bought me Oh, The Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss. I never heard of it, but it was once of my favorite gifts...a classic for anyone shifting from life on the Homefront to the great wild that is not home.

But returning to the front porch never gets old, especially while reminiscing on all that once was, is no longer, and is likely to change forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment