Thursday, June 6, 2024

Heading MidWest for a Bit & Teaching a Grad Course from Des Moines. More Importantly, I'm Finally Visiting Chitunga in Iowa...Way Overdue

I won't land until 9:30 pm, Central, but I'm posting now. I finished a 4 hour grad class last night and need to get read for next week, but I'll grade, plan, record, and teach from Iowa because (a) I want/need a break, (b) I want/need to see Chitunga, and (c) getting there is long overdue. Even so, it's almost impossible to find a break with CWP-Fairfield work and the lack of colleagues to teach the courses required to get students certified. Picture me inside a balloon underneath the ocean. I'm trying to stay dry, but all the leaks have been starting and I'm simply trying to survive...

...and do my best for the students (some things will never change)

...and invest in a profession I love (and needs incredible support).

I booked the flight a while ago and will problem solve how to get the course taught, but I imagine Chitunga, like me, will need his alone time so I'll be left time to work on the materials needing to get done. And I will see a new part of the nation. Of course, I'm also having flashbacks of every Iowan I've ever met...recall taking in a kid named Joe when he interned at the Louisville Zoo. He was from Iowa. His host family couldn't take another second of him and somehow dropped him at my place never to be picked up. I was stuck with he kid for the entire summer....he never stopped talking...he talked at the pace of Droopy Dog...and he was as interesting as a fence post. Actually, a fence post is much more intriguing. And he didn't have a car and I had to drive him everywhere. I sort of have a bad taste about the State in my  mind.

Karal is staying with Shirley (I am so, so, so thankful. I owe her BIG TIME) and I'll return next Tuesday night late...Chitunga and I are hoping to meet up again in Syracuse at the end of June, too. Yes, Mom...I now know what it was like for you when I lived in Kentucky all those years. The distance is good, I suppose, but it's also not fun.

Also, I'm not sure who turned up the humidity in CT yesterday, but they can turn it back down. I love June for warm days and cool nights. I don't need to sweat as I type indoors. I also don't want to turn the air condition on...that's for July. 

Ah, here's to travel. Not sure what adventure the day will bring, but I do look forward to waking up in my kid's apartment. Curious what the amenities will be. Looking forward to spoiling him.

No comments:

Post a Comment