Thursday, June 27, 2024

Not Sure What Is Worse...My Father's Hearing or My Eyesight. The Challenge of Figuring Out His Hearing Aids (with One Life Call to Cynderballs)

He's been fidgeting with his ears all week. He screams his hearing aids don't work, and I know Cynde and my mom have gone round and round with him. He claims it's the batteries, but he hates wearing them. Yet, each morning I see him taking out batteries and putting new ones in, and testing the volume in his ears as he counts out loud while moving the volume up. 

He clearly is fixated on wanting to hear; he simply can't hear under the current situation. 

Cynde asked me to call her. She needed to tell me that the Miracle Ears are for chargeable batteries and he only has two. But, he's been playing with the batteries and it is unlikely the rechargeable batteries are missing. She wanted to see if I could find them. I squinted as hard as I could to see if there were markings on all the batteries to differentiate the ones that might be rechargeable. The font was way too small so I tired to take a photograph - but even that couldn't be blown up in a readable fashion. Oi Vay.

There appears to be one rechargeable battery in the right ear, but not the left. He changes the batteries habitually, so it might be Russian roulette as to if they work or not. No wonder he distrusts the devices. He fools around with them too much.

Meanwhile, I cut his hair and gave him a good shave. He has a good 30 razors in the bathroom, all of which were dull. I finally found one good one, and that is what I used to clean him up. There's definitely a poem in giving your father a good shave on his 59th wedding anniversary. One has to be careful not to cause any cuts. I imagine he gets very frustrated trying to care for this on his own. 

Ah, but we had a great anniversary dinner of steak, lemon pasta, and grilled cauliflower. I think each of us licked our plates and we shared very little with the dog. I'm sure she wasn't thrilled. 

And just like that, it is Thursday already. Dang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment