Sunday, September 22, 2024

Recharged! Rejuvenated! Inspired! Focused! Educated! and Overjoyed! That Was the Power of the YA Literature Panel at @WesportLibrary StoryFest

Ah, Alex! You must be exhausted. I know I am and I slept like a baby.

I'm so thankful to my panel with Don P. Hooper, Patricia Park, and Torrey Maldonado during yesterday's StoryFest event at Westport Library. Had I know that Jennifer Baker and Shannon C.F. Rogers were going to be in the house, I would have included them in the proposal I put forth (Jennifer Baker's podcast with Don Hooper and Shannon Rogers was simply amazing and acted as a catalyst for the panel that followed - she is one of a kind).

The members of the Westport Library are simply top-notch and it brings total delight to bring CWP-Fairfield to be part of the program. As many of the writers commented, the behind-the-scenes labor remains immeasurable and I'm so appreciative of the hard work that makes such an event possible.

Torrey is my younger brother. I knew when I met him we shared an energy and then I began reading and teaching his books. It continues to impress me that he cranks out what he does all while teaching 8th grade! He is the real deal, a Mandaladorian who sculpts the force for the readers he writes for and the young people he educates. The wisdom he puts forth is out of this world, and I was so happy to see so many wonderful faces in the crowd that came to see us. 

I returned home last night and crashed, knowing that this has been a labor of love since last spring. I couldn't be happier. I love working with the vision and passion of those behind the Westport Library initiatives and the weekend was spent envisioning connections, possibilities, storytelling, and support. Ah, but for today, I must slow it down a little...beautiful friends from out of state (weren't they just down the street) and then a much celebration of colleagues I cherish. 

I'll be reflecting on the energy of this work for quite a while, but for now, I need to definitely take advantage of a Sunday.

That is my goal. Torrey, this is the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment