Thursday, September 19, 2024

It is the Tiny Things in Life (Literally) That Help You to Measure a Day's Success as (Finally) Being Accomplished

I was home from teaching by 4, walked Karal, and immediately hammered away at the immediate to-do list. I did a couple of article reviews, returned a few calls to administrators of schools, and (whoa) finally fixed a door knob and my glasses. Both have had loose screws for months (different sizes of course). They've been items that I've said, "It only takes a couple of seconds," but with the pace of an academic life, I've just not made time for them. 

Stupid, I know. 

Reality, it is.

I did the door first and then my glasses. Both were coming apart and was a matter of time before I lost the knob, a screw, or a stem. As I spent my 30 seconds on each, I was like, "Now there is a productive minute. Go, Crandall, Go! You achieved something on your mind for days and days and days now."

That, is the life of teaching. The fact that a minute to accomplish your own goals is a tremendous success. And I also ate a salad by six. The day before I never go around to eating until 10 p.m.

It's a pace that needs to slow down. I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment