Friday, September 6, 2024

Fortunate to Be Able to See Paulie's Push to Ground Zero...One Man's Mission to Honor the Memory of American Heroes of Flights 175, 11 & 77

I can still remember the day. It was my planning and Alice had her sociology students 1st period. They had the television on and knew something was up in NYC. They called me over to watch the hysteria and that's when I saw the 2nd plane hit. I immediately went into teacher mode and focused on the day ahead. Alice twirled her hair and began researching why such a thing would happen, and then teachers around the school played the newsfeed live for their students (definitely not my choice). When kids asked why I wasn't watching I simply said, "This is too much for my comprehension. I need to go home, read, and figure out a game plan of action."

That's what I did, talking with Alice, of course. American Airlines Flight 11 left Boston, was hijacked, and was one of the two planes that went into the towers. Paul Veneto, aka "Paulie," is bringing back the memories of the flight crews who were the first responders that day, and who also perished in the tragedy. It is Paulie's Push and he pushes a flight cart from Boston-Logan to Ground Zero each year and covers 220 miles. He was working on United Flight 175, but left to be off-duty when they replaced his shift with another. It was the the other plane that hit the tower. He, now retired, is committed to keeping their memories alive and the reality of the 9/11 tragedy. This is his mission. 

Yesterday, while working with administrators at Marvin Elementary School in Norwalk, I was fortunate to bear witness to student presentations, celebrations, and speeches applauding Paul Veneto's mission. It is something, especially since American like to move quickly to the next buzzfeed, YouTube posting, or Instagram photo. History, world politics, and U.S. responsibilities are too often dusted to the side. His actions speak louder than any words I could post, so I'll simply leave this with a news story in his honor.

And, most definitely, it was my honor for being in the right place at the right time so I could bear witness to his quest. Phew. 



No comments:

Post a Comment