Saturday, September 21, 2024

Day Two of StoryFest '24 @WestportLibrary After a Spectacular Day One with Oliver Radcliffe and Roxeane Gay

It's always a pleasure to be part of the vision of Westport Library in support of writers, great books, creativity, and human togetherness. It was a once-in-a-time experience to see Oliver Radcliffe and Roxeane Gay on stage, especially since a year ago at this time, Oliver was on a panel that I moderated and I didn't made the connection that THAT Oliver was the THE Olive that was signed to Roxeane Gay's new imprint. Frighten the Horses is Oliver's memoir that was in draft form last year, and this year he's center stage at the festival with Roxeane Gay. 

How does that work?

I was talking to several authors afterwards about how I love when individuals grow big with their writing, but are willing to promote the excellence of others as Roxeane Gay has done. It takes tremendous care and grace to put one's self to the back burner to say, "I believe in this work. I believe in its humanity. I believe in the writer's talent," which is what Roxeane Gay did with Oliver Radcliffe's manuscript. I hope it soars as far into the world as I imagine it will.   

Today, there will be numerous panels at StoryFest, including the one I will moderate with YA authors Don P. Hooper, Patricia Park, and Torrey Maldonado. I put together a dream-team from Brooklyn - three writers who I know have written books that young people love, need, cherish, and inspire. To have all three on the same stage will be one for the record books.

The 2nd day starts early and our panel will be at 3 p.m. and I can't wait. I'm posting for today and then thinking about the most exciting questions I can ask. Although young people (even teachers) may suffer from Imposter Syndrome, True True, it is our Hands that make the greatest difference in the world of the kids we teach. These three writers pen the books that kids connect to, crave more of, and need in their lives.

My test for great YA is when I read a book and I think, "What are the teaching possibilities?"

I'm blessed to have the opportunities that I do and today will be no different. Hoping those I know will make it to the Westport Library for the festival and soak in the magic of the panel. It's destined to be great...I mean, look at what Westport Library is doing for Connecticut!

No comments:

Post a Comment