Saturday, September 14, 2024

It's the Grading that Gets Ya, But First Week Assignments Finished. Saturday Goal: Me, the Beach, a Book, and Chill-time

Okay, so I'm reading a book I'm teaching on Wednesday, but at least I get to do it at the beach. With my feat in the sand. Under an umbrella. Looking at water. Soon after I post this blog.

I'm never no why I underestimate the amount of time to grade papers, but I had 38 come in on the same day and it took me two days to get through them. Granted, it was low-stakes grading, but the first assignment for me is always about building relationship and rapport, so I take my time to study class rosters and what the students have to say. I want to know them and how they operate. I'm super excited to have so many student athletes this year, too. Nothing better than a smart kid who also plays a Division I sport - they make the possibilities enormous, especially when their lifelong dream is to teach. The last time this happened to me was when Justin Wooley was in my class. It wasn't him, but his classmates who were on the Women's Basketball team. Loved having them and seeing in their senior year, Ubuntu was all over their team jerseys. It's just magical. 

Also sent an article in for review and need to read two articles for review this morning before I hit the sand (I'm late). I can save the two grants that I need to apply for until Sunday (Yeah, weekend relaxation, and I wonder why I'm at wit's end).

Yesterday, the University did the big fanfare for new faculty and its always great to hear the fun facts and accomplishments, although very few are welcomed as tenure track (I'm guessing is a national phenomenon now). Still the qualifications are always interesting to hear, especially when new scholars come with season pedigree, strong training, and solid promise from reputable Universities. I guess it's just sad that to the administrative side of Universities, the tenured faculty are a life commitment and, hence, a force that can resist their demands. They like to have the substitute categories because it's easier for them to force upon the work that tenured faculty question. I would never have known this as a doctoral student. In fact, we were warned tenure was a thing of the past when we went on the market. It's why I did a Professor of the Practice position, but I quickly learned that stability and prestige comes with tenure; also, publication is what deciphers scholars at the academy. 

And I'm thinking of the brilliant, out-of-this world junior faculty I'm fortunate to work with across the nation and how much fight and zest they will need to get tenure and climb for full professorship (I still can believe: (a) I got a doctorate, (b) I was tenured, and (c) I was promoted to Full (Fool) this year. I also wouldn't have guessed that I would have $1,500,000 in grants and revenue in these years or have even published a blog post, let alone ten (soon to be eleven) anthologies of youth/teacher writing, the articles I have, the poems, or the book chapters. Not sure if it was worth it, but if it inspired a kid here or a teacher there or a scholar I'll never meet, I guess that is a good thing.

It's now looking like sun for the next three days...so maybe I'll have just more than today with sand on my feet. Ah, Saturday...I can't wait until you are each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment