Monday, July 1, 2024

Gambled Some Upon My Return with Campus Life, Teacher Institutes, and Young Adult Literacy Labs...Much Needed to be Done To Be Ready

Returning from CNY seems non-eventful, except I hit storms from Binghamton to Liberty, drove out of them, then learned storms were coming to Stratford and southern Connecticut. When I got out of the car it was super hot...oppressive air...and then Alexa and my phone were going nuts with storm warnings. I looked at the radar and decided I could chance a campus visit to get things set up.

Before I left for Syracuse, I knew I had to be super organized so when I returned I could instantly drive things to campus classrooms. Everything was lined by the door and in the dining room. I also spent extra hours on campus getting everything organized in my office, so when I returned from Syracuse I could easily move things from that space to the summer classrooms. 

That saying, "Your lack of planning doesn't constitute my emergency," is not how I operate. I wanted to attend my nephew's graduation and to see my family, so I worked extra hard before I left knowing the chaos I would return to. But I had a plan. 

What I didn't plan on were the storms. It was a downpour in Stratford when I left, but I saw this crazy lull in the clouds over Fairfield from 3 to 3:30 so I packed up my car and drove it to campus and got everything indoors before it let lose....I set it up for an hour, and then knew there'd be another lull for 20 minutes and drove and packed up my office. Needed an umbrella when entering, but it was dry on the way out. I got all those materials into the building. I unpacked for another hour....

....ah, but when I left the building it was monsoon and I was drenched walking to my car. The good news is all the materials are stored in the building for tomorrow's programs. I'll like arrive 2 hours before they begin so I can make sure everything is in place for the teachers and students. 

I drove home in a river, but by the time I made it to my driveway, there was another lull....just enough time to grill mushrooms and a hamburger before the 2nd round of storms came through.

Phew. That was a laborious day. I'm just counting my blessings that I the foresight to get everything ready to go before I left for Syracuse. I need to sneak the lil' breaks in where I can get them (trust me, I did much of the computer work while visiting) but knew the physical stuff needed a logical plan. And that's what I did.

But now to teach. Hello, Monday. I know most are on holiday this weekend, but we're taking off!

It's July!

No comments:

Post a Comment