Saturday, July 13, 2024

A Hammerhead and a Unicorn Walk Into a Bar...Actually, a Spaceship and with them are 38 Young Adult Literacy Labs Novelists

They had a tall order this week, and we are thrilled to bring John Fallon into the mix...an English teacher at Laurelton Hall who loves science fiction (and is partnered with Allison). We decided early in the week that he'd have to be initiated in the Scripted workshop, and I knew immediately I'd make him a unicorn, as his youngest daughter, Cordelia, is obsessed with the magical creatures.

My week was pulled towards Little Labs more, so I didn't get as much play time and conference work with the middle and high school novelists. It's a funny program, too, because the kids really don't want to be bothered with the adults - they just want a space to write all day (which we give them with mini-lessons, workshops, demonstrations, and a reminder we should build a community, too). I always love the way friendships begin in this program and little coteries are formed. A previous colleague once told me, "CWP is where she found her people."

I'm writing this morning watching the skies dump the ocean onto Connecticut. It's been a wall of water since 7 a.m. (and I'm thankful I chose to mow the lawn at the last minute before I went to bed last night). Looking like quite the wash today and I didn't know it was coming - this is probably because of the 14-hour days of keeping the programs going...I don't think about the weekends.

Abu and I watched Inside Out last night on Disney because he heard it was good and he wanted to get ready to watch Inside Out 2. The Pixar fill is really good and I can't help but think about all the emotional creatures working inside my own mental control room. When I think about the work I love doing, but the reality of where I'm doing it, I think every emotion hired to control my brain goes into battle. 

Here's to Noah's Arc...the rain...and the spectacular week that just was. We repeat the greatness again starting on Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment