Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Then the Moose Got Down on One Knee to Ask the Unicorn to Marry Him. She Wouldn't Say Yes, However, Until She Could Count on the Frogs Four Fingers

Just another day at CWP summer programs, this time introducing script-writing, performance, language-play, and theatrics to what the learners of English language learners might contribute to POW! Power of Words. It is amazing what humor, great teaching, tremendous support, and a 11-year history can do to really empower newly arrived youth from immigrant and refugee backgrounds. In two weeks, the collective moves mountains and it makes me proud each and every year. I wish we had a facility and support for 180 days.

And just like that it is humpday. Glad to see it arrive, but now have to think about cleanup and departure, thankful that 25 teachers and almost 200 kids made it through our summer programs successful (and with absolute joy). I love getting the emails from parents saying the week changed their kids life and they are now writing every day....I wonder, though, when they say, "we'll be back next year," because I just don't know how finances will be or if the University will kick me to the curb or force me out. It's great work that gets more difficult every year. 

For those who want to know, the Unicorn does say yes to the Moose and accepts the marriage proposal. I officiate the real wedding in a couple of weeks in Monroe, Connecticut...my second of the summer. Love that Abu's dressed as a frog in toad-attire.

And with that....time to hit the road because he just signaled he's ready to go. 

Ribbit Ribbit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment