Friday, July 19, 2024

And Just Like That, I'm Thankful Once Again to the Many Years at the Louisville Nature Center and All the Team Building from Jefferson Memorial

It's definitely Friday. If we complete all the task on the agenda as we have planned we'll be lucky. We accomplished so much yesterday, but when I got home and started editing their work, I realized pieces were missing for the final video. Phew. Back at it tomorrow, but first having to drop of Karal so she does drive the cleaners nuts, and then the last 7:30 to 3:30 shift of the week. Tonight, Lossine and Delaney arrive from Syracuse.

There is a Zen Garden, nature pond on campus and I'm hoping to do a few nature writing activities with the kids. Actually, I'm hoping Abu, Max, and Jalen will do the nature writing and I can finish editing the work by staying behind. Jessica and Stefania raised the bar with what they could accomplish in a week and filling in for them both, I'm trying to maintain the same quality.

It's been a fun week subbing for the Little Lab for Big Imaginations, but also a reminder why working with the Youngers is absolutely exhausting. I look at this photo and think, phew, I've been doing such work since I was 22 years old...30 years, indeed. 

Had I stayed in Kentucky, I'd more than likely have retired from teaching by now (do a doctorate, he told himself...do a doctorate).

Ah, but the happiness still comes from working with K-12 kids and teachers. It's such a shame that our institutions keep them from doing the great work that is possible. The older I get, the more I see the uselessness of bureaucrats, administration, and all those that put more work on educators, without ever asking them what they already know and can do. 

It's funny to think that the kids I did these same very activities with all those decades ago now have children this age....and here I am living it over, and over, and over again.

Then, of course, I have to do the academic/collegiate stuff on the side to keep my place in the world.

In the end, it's always for the kids...always for the future...always for making the next generation a little better than my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment