Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Teaching in a Time of You-Tube Offers All the Needed Breaks a Kid (Well, Teacher) Needs. Little Labs for Big Imaginations Week II

I've learned from the expert elementary teachers over the years the importance of having every second overplanned, and the necessity of pivoting quickly when the student writers let you know what is and isn't working. One of the things I've stolen is the power of the exercise break and I love the numerous fun ways you can get kids moving to get the wiggles out and the frustration from sitting all day. We've booked up time, too, with book readings, funny cartoons that are on point with out themes, and doing crafts just when it is necessary...all of this with the right hand assistantship of YouTube.

Um, did I say that I fell asleep again after work yesterday. That's 4 times in two weeks...and I know it is because I'm 100% on with the Little Labs, whereas in the past I had others cover the younger ages. It is the same as when I was a substitute taught in elementary in my earlier years. Yup. I get tired out because there is so much minute detail that goes into keeping control. If you lose a mili-second, the whole things gets wonky....I need to be on at all moments.

Today, we continue with the Olympic theme, but also work with a lil' Kwame Alexander brilliance (working with rule poems and life skills). Looking forward to that. We're also hosting a mini-Olympic events and doing a tour of the library to see what we can learn about getting information for our Thursday writing. Friday, of course, we need to pull it all together for the big video filming.

Yesterday, too, we workshopped with the Bellarmine college students and it was a blast. It was so much fun working with the kids and freshman together and I'm impressed by how the younger ones hold their own. Ah, but this coffee needs to kick in so we can hit the road. Another day, another dollar (or something like that...if you know the Fairfield story, well, then you know). 

Hump Day...here we come. 

Let the sweat begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment