Tuesday, October 8, 2024

It's Only Tuesday, and I Am Feeling Friday on the Last Day of a School Year. It's a Mood, But I Must Fight On

My Monday began at the dentist. Happy to report I don't need another root canal, but sad to admit I need another crown. Seriously, in those high school lessons about adult responsibilities they need to teach the economics of dentistry and although insurance will cover some (even half at times) the procedures to take care of a mouth, it is still a large hit on the paycheck. I'm sure my mouth is worth well more than any car I've ever purchased, and like my mouth, I've always kept up with maintenance, care, and daily procedures for a long shelf-life for my teeth. 

Nope. Genetics they tell me are the number one predictor of one's mouth. I was told, "Be thankful. All your front teeth look great, it's just your molars and as you age they take a beating." I grind in my sleep, but I've never been able to sleep with a mouthguard in. I've tried. I've failed. 

Today looks to be a 14-hour day, followed by a turbo the next day, and I simply and looking for rest and respite. The work educators have to do seems to get more difficult each year and even with promotions, faculty feel overwhelmed by all they are supposed to accomplish. Yes, I'm lucky and fortunate to be employed and to love what I do, but LORD HAVE MERCY, those of us in education need a break from the endless responsibilities that keep getting added on, but without support from the administrative classes. I suppose this is what everyone who has been in a profession for almost 30 years begins to realize. You work your bones until they can't take any more and then you retire. They bring in the next generation of laborers. 

If I am feeling this way on Tuesday, I can only imagine what I'll feel like on Friday (or the end of the year, for that matter). Ah, psoriasis are a barometer and I'm a mess. I'll have my Kennelog shots next week (or the week following). 

Meanwhile, I'm thinking of colleagues across Florida and sending prayers up to the Great Whatever. These are crazy times, indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment