Saturday, October 12, 2024

Cold Morning Walks, But Still Loving the Bloom of Cosmos All Over My Yard, With Many Plants Well Over 7 Feet...October Surprises

I'm impressed that so much is still blooming around my yard, and thrilled to see so many bees doing all they can to take the nectar to populate their homes and other bees. I forget with Douglas Coupland book from the 90s explored a world without any more bees - a doomsday text pushing against human technology. It always resonated with me...if the bees go, what else goes?

Friday was a productive day...an early morning hike, several hours of NWP site reporting (file caught up on two years), and meeting with students on campus. My goal was to get to BJs for more dog food, but I forgot my walnut, so it will have to wait until the weekend.

Ideally, I should have taken the 4-day weekend as an opportunity to get out of here and put my mind elsewhere, but in truth I like such days to catch up and, if possible, to get ahead on the crazy that is the world I live. There's always more to do, but if I can sleep in a little longer or stay up a little later, then I can chisel away at the piles and do what needs to get done.

I still haven't turned the heat on yet, but with rain and 50-degree temperatures next week, I'm thinking I'll likely convert, although I hate when that season comes upon us. I much prefer fresh air coming in from outdoors...the months without air conditioner or heat. That window is short-lived. And no more northern lights in Connecticut, although the papers said there'd be more. Just a dark sky, which was a sigh for all of heading outdoors to find them.

Here's to an extended weekend...college sports...time to let the day go where it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment